Turkey Breast with Southwestern Cornbread Dressing
- 1 (5-6 lbs) bone-in turkey breast
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- As needed vegetable cooking spray
- As needed red and green whole peppers, for garnish
Roasted Turkey Breast
Loosen skin on both sides of turkey breast, being careful not to tear skin, leaving it connected at breast bone. Spread 1 Tbsp garlic under loosened skin over each breast half. Repeat procedure, spreading 1/4 cup cilantro over each breast half.
Place turkey on a rack in a 13-X 9-X 2-inch roasting pan, lightly coated with vegetable cooking spray. Spoon half of stuffing mixture under breast cavity. Spoon remaining stuffing into 2-quart casserole, lightly coated with vegetable cooking spray; cover and refrigerate.
Roast turkey breast, uncovered, in a preheated 325°F oven for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until food thermometer registers 165 to 170°F in deepest portion of breast and stuffing registers 165°F. Bake stuffing casserole, uncovered, along with turkey breast during last 45 minutes.
Allow turkey breast to stand for 15 minutes before carving. Transfer to platter and garnish with red and green whole peppers.
- 5 cups coarsley crumbled prepared cornbread
- 4 English muffins, coarsely crumbled
- 3 mild green chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 tsp chopped fresh basil or 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1-1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1-1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 lbs Italian turkey sausage
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 4 Tbsp turkey broth or water (optional)
Southwestern Cornbread Dressing
In large bowl combine cornbread, muffins, chilies, red pepper, pine nuts, 1 Tbsp cilantro, parsley, basil, thyme and oregano; set aside.
In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook turkey sausage, celery and onion 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
Combine turkey sausage mixture with cornbread mixture. Add broth or water if mixture is too dry; set aside.
- The National Turkey Federation
- 1. Brined Brown Sugar Deep Fried Turkey
- 2. Burgundy Roast Turkey Breast
- 3. Cajun Fried Turkey
- 4. Grilled Turkey Cuban
- 5. HoneyBaked Turkey Frittata
- 6. Maple-Glazed Turkey Breast with Orange-Parsley Stuffing
- 7. Pineapple Turkey Kabobs
- 8. Roast Glazed Turkey Breast with Roasted Peppers
- 9. Roast Turkey with Cranberry Orange Glaze
- 10. Roasted Heritage Turkey
- 11. Rosemary Turkey #1
- 12. Rosemary Turkey #2
- 13. Simple Turkey Stuffing
- 14. Smoked Butterflied Breast of Turkey
- 15. Smoked Turkey With Smoked Oyster Dressing
- 16. Spice-Rubbed Turkey with Garlic-Pear Puree
- 17. Turkey and Dressing
- 18. Turkey Breast with Southwestern Cornbread Dressing