Smoked Butterflied Breast of Turkey
- 1 (10 lbs) turkey breast (bone in)
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 1/2 cups coarse salt
- 2 1/2 quarts cold water
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- 5 large bay leaves
- 3 large cloves garlic, halved
- 2 cups Chablis or other dry white wine
To bone turkey breast, place skin side down, on a work surface. Hold a small, very sharp knife parallel to the work surface and slide it under the small bones at the "tail-end" lobes of the breast. Slice outward, using a sawing motion and keeping knife next to the bones; lift off bones. Slice down and around breastbone, keeping as close to bone as possible. Pick up by the loosened bone to slice under breastbone next to turkey skin.
Combine brown sugar, hot water and salt in a very large mixing bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in next 4 ingredients. Submerge turkey breast in brine; cover and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
Remove turkey from brine and rinse thoroughly with cold water; pat dry. Discard brine solution.
Prepare charcoal fire in smoker according to manufacturer's instructions. Let burn 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle about 2 cups soaked and drained wood chips over hot charcoal. Place water pan in smoker, and pour in wine. Add enough hot water to fill pan.
Place turkey breast on food rack, and cover with smoker lid; smoke about 3 hours and 45 minutes, refilling water pan with additional water, if needed. (Time may vary with outdoor temperature and individual smoker.) Let stand at least 15 minutes before carving; or cool to room temperature, wrap well and chill.
- 1. Brined Brown Sugar Deep Fried Turkey
- 2. Burgundy Roast Turkey Breast
- 3. Cajun Fried Turkey
- 4. Grilled Turkey Cuban
- 5. HoneyBaked Turkey Frittata
- 6. Maple-Glazed Turkey Breast with Orange-Parsley Stuffing
- 7. Pineapple Turkey Kabobs
- 8. Roast Glazed Turkey Breast with Roasted Peppers
- 9. Roast Turkey with Cranberry Orange Glaze
- 10. Roasted Heritage Turkey
- 11. Rosemary Turkey #1
- 12. Rosemary Turkey #2
- 13. Simple Turkey Stuffing
- 14. Smoked Butterflied Breast of Turkey
- 15. Smoked Turkey With Smoked Oyster Dressing
- 16. Spice-Rubbed Turkey with Garlic-Pear Puree
- 17. Turkey and Dressing
- 18. Turkey Breast with Southwestern Cornbread Dressing