Roasted Heritage Turkey
- 15 lbs fresh heritage turkey at room temperature
- Kosher or sea salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups giblet broth (see recipe below)
- Rosemary maple butter (see recipe below)
- Oiled parchment paper
Rub turkey inside and out with salt and pepper.
Loosen the skin around the breast with your fingers and insert Rosemary Maple Butter between the meat and the skin as well as on the inside of the bird's cavity.
Set bird in deep roasting pan. Use a wire rack to lift the bird off the bottom of the pan.
Add the giblet broth to the bottom of the pan. Using a sheet of oiled parchment paper, tent the roasting pan with the oiled parchment paper. Any type of cooking oil can be used. Brush it on both sides with a pastry brush. The parchment paper is easily affixed to the roasting pan with a strip of foil on each end or you can use clean, oiled wooden clothespins. Remove parchment paper and the last 30 minutes of cooking to develop a crispy, golden skin.
Pre-heat oven to 425°F-450°F. Roast the bird until the thigh temperature reaches 140°F-150°F. Let the bird rest 10-15 minutes before carving to let the juices settle.
- 2 cups white wine (a deep, oaky chardonnay lends a wonder taste)
- 2 cups water
- Giblets & neck
- Bay leaf
Simmer everything in a small saucepan for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf and neck. Giblets can be discarded if they aren't your type of thing or they can be finely chopped and added to the broth.
Rosemary Maple Butter
- 1/2 lbs butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced rosemary
Bring butter to room temperature and whip all ingredients together.
- 10 to 12
- Sandra Kay Miller
- 1. Brined Brown Sugar Deep Fried Turkey
- 2. Burgundy Roast Turkey Breast
- 3. Cajun Fried Turkey
- 4. Grilled Turkey Cuban
- 5. HoneyBaked Turkey Frittata
- 6. Maple-Glazed Turkey Breast with Orange-Parsley Stuffing
- 7. Pineapple Turkey Kabobs
- 8. Roast Glazed Turkey Breast with Roasted Peppers
- 9. Roast Turkey with Cranberry Orange Glaze
- 10. Roasted Heritage Turkey
- 11. Rosemary Turkey #1
- 12. Rosemary Turkey #2
- 13. Simple Turkey Stuffing
- 14. Smoked Butterflied Breast of Turkey
- 15. Smoked Turkey With Smoked Oyster Dressing
- 16. Spice-Rubbed Turkey with Garlic-Pear Puree
- 17. Turkey and Dressing
- 18. Turkey Breast with Southwestern Cornbread Dressing