Brined Brown Sugar Deep Fried Turkey
- 1 (10 to 12 pound) fresh whole turkey
- 3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 gallons cold water
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves and crushed
- 3 gallons peanut oil, for frying
Combine brown sugar, mustard, salt and cayenne pepper in large non-metallic container. Gradually whisk in the water, thyme and garlic.
Remove giblets and neck from turkey. You can use the turkey lifter while in the brine mixture only. Do not use in the fryer. Place turkey in brine mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oil to 400°.
Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Place turkey, breast side up, in basket. Slowly lower basket into hot oil, being cautious of splattering oil. Maintain oil temperature at about 350°. Fry turkey for 3-1/2 minutes per pound. Remove from oil to check doneness. Insert an instant-read thermometer into thickest part of thigh, not touching bone. Temperature should be 180°.
Remove turkey from hot oil and drain on paper towels. Let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- 8 to 10
- 1. Brined Brown Sugar Deep Fried Turkey
- 2. Burgundy Roast Turkey Breast
- 3. Cajun Fried Turkey
- 4. Grilled Turkey Cuban
- 5. HoneyBaked Turkey Frittata
- 6. Maple-Glazed Turkey Breast with Orange-Parsley Stuffing
- 7. Pineapple Turkey Kabobs
- 8. Roast Glazed Turkey Breast with Roasted Peppers
- 9. Roast Turkey with Cranberry Orange Glaze
- 10. Roasted Heritage Turkey
- 11. Rosemary Turkey #1
- 12. Rosemary Turkey #2
- 13. Simple Turkey Stuffing
- 14. Smoked Butterflied Breast of Turkey
- 15. Smoked Turkey With Smoked Oyster Dressing
- 16. Spice-Rubbed Turkey with Garlic-Pear Puree
- 17. Turkey and Dressing
- 18. Turkey Breast with Southwestern Cornbread Dressing