Waffle House Hash Browns
- 4 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup ice
- Vegetable oil for frying
Place prepared potatoes in a 2-quart bowl, and add salt. Add ice and pour enough water to cover potatoes. Stir to mix salt and ice in the potatoes. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Place shredded potatoes in a colander, rinse with cool tap water and drain completely. At this point you can place potatoes back in the refrigerator covered until ready to fry. The uncooked potatoes will keep up to 5 hours.
Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add enough vegetable oil to lightly cover bottom. When skillet is hot and oil has been heated, place two cups of drained shredded potatoes in skillet. Fry until crisp, shaping with a spatula. Fry about 12 to 15 minutes, without turning. Time depends on the temperature and size of the shredded hash browns. When potatoes are golden, flip over carefully and fry tops of potatoes for 2 - 3 minutes. Do not cover hash browns while frying or stir through them.
Waffle House Hash Browns ScatteredIngredients:
- 1 slice American cheese (covered)
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion (smothered)
- Sliced jalapeño peppers, to taste (peppered)
- 1/4 cup diced fresh tomatoes (diced)
- 1/4 cup mushrooms (capped)
- 1/3 cup diced lean ham (chunked)
- 1/3 cup chili with beans, heated
- 1 serving Waffle House Hash Browns
Prepare Waffle House Hash Browns as directed. Leave them in the skillet, and add cheese, onion, jalapeño peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms and ham. When done, add chili on top of all.Makes 4 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page